Jeffrey Gitomer answered a similar question today in his weekly Sales Caffeine e-zine. His answer “30% lack of preparation and 70% fear of rejection.” Here are my answers to getting your salesforce to pick up the phone:
First, let’s solve the easy part. 30% lack of preparation:
- Tape a big sign on your TV that says, “You are Costing Me Sales.” Time spent lifeless in front of the TV is time taken from preparation. Read about sales, life, entertainment, sports, politics, current affairs. These are the things that start good conversations and good conversations sell.
- Google Alerts (or a RSS feed reader) and add your targets and clients into them. Nothing sparks a good sales conversation like good or bad news about your targets and clients
- Google your prospect’s and/or their company’s name
- If you are a Sales Director–fire out quick, attitude focusing, knowledge building tips every morning
Now to make up the 70% fear factor:
- You will be told NO! You will be told NO more than Yes. More NO’s lead to more Yes’
- Procrastination, Laziness, Fear, and not wanting to hear NO decreases your sales
- Learn to love the sound of NO. That makes you one call and no time wasted on the way to your next YES
- Be ready for the call. Lead up, name up, key points at the ready
- Have a 15 sec intro and 3 questions ready to go
- Have an objective for each call. No what success looks like before you dial
- Get a positive attitude
- Stand up and smile! I can tell on the other end of the phone. Try it.